Saturday, March 9, 2013

How To Beat Nasal Spray Addiction - Natural Treatments and Remedies

Treating nasal spray addiction with Natural Remedies is becoming more popular. Unfortunately millions of people worldwide suffer from this medical condition.

Definition
Nasal spray addiction (Rhinitis Medicamentosa) is the term used to describe the dependency on over the counter decongestant nasal sprays due to them causing rebound congestion (congestion worse than before the nasal spray was used). 

Causes
Over the counter decongestant nasal sprays containing oxymetazoline, xylometazoline, phenylepherine etc. (topical vacoconstrictors) temporarily reduce the size of the nasal turbinates, open the nasal passages and provide relief from nasal congestion etc. However when these are used for more than 3 consecutive days they cause rebound congestion. Rebound congestion is the result of abnormal hypertrophy (enlargement) and swelling of the nasal membranes. This blocks the nasal passages causing the nasal congestion and associated symptoms. This rebound congestion is temporarily relieved by using the offending nasal spray. Therefore a vicious cycle of dependency ensues.

The delicate lining of the nasal passages can be permanently damaged.

Symptoms
Nasal congestion and difficulty breathing

Runny nose

Sinus/facial pain

Sinus/facial tenderness

Sinus/facial pressure,

Headaches

Pain in teeth

Pain in jaw

Pain in ears,

Pain through and around eyes

Fatigue

Dizziness

Drainage of a thick yellow or green discharge from the nose or down the back of the throat (post nasal drip)

Reduced sense of smell and taste

Cough (which may be worse at night)

Nausea

Sore throat and halitosis (bad breath).

Irritability

Sleep disorders

Anxiety and nervousness

Chronic nose bleeds

Perforated septum

Dry/crusty nasal passages

Rapid heart beat

Treatments
It is important to note that the nasal spray addiction is a consequence of using a decongestant nasal spray to relieve the symptoms of a previous sinus condition. Therefore once the nasal spray addiction has been dealt with it may still be necessary to treat the cause of the original sinus condition such as infection or allergies (see my other articles).

Discontinue use - Going 'cold turkey' and stopping use of the decongestant nasal spray can eventually break the dependency. However this can cause sleep deprivation, anxiety, extreme nasal congestion etc. and general suffering and misery.

Natural nasal sprays - Natural nasal sprays such as SinuSoothe are doctor recommended and can be used to replace the offending decongestant nasal spray. SinuSoothe relieves nasal congestion, inflammation, pain, headaches etc. and can be used regularly on a long term basis. It has no side effects, is non-addictive and doesn't cause rebound congestion. Since the active ingredients improve blood flow and regenerate cell production it can help heal any damaged nasal tissue. It can also treat any underlying bacterial/fungal infections and allergies that may have caused the initial sinus condition.

Saline nasal sprays - Saline nasal sprays such as Sterimar may be useful for moisturising the nasal passages and relieving nasal congestion. They can be either isotonic or hypertonic solutions. These can be used long term, have no side effects and are non-addictive. They may help reduce inflammation. Unfortunately for many sufferers saline nasal sprays are ineffective.

Nasal irrigation - A neti pot is used to irrigate the sinuses with either an isotonic or hypertonic solution. An isotonic solution has the same salt concentration as your body. A hypertonic solution has a higher salt content and may be more useful at drawing moisture and mucous from the sinuses. This may help reduce inflammation and relieve nasal congestion. It is a good practice for keeping your sinuses clean and removing irritants. It is completely safe provided you use the correct saline solution. However it is usually carried out in the home environment, is not convenient and many people either do not like the process and/or find it difficult to do.

Gradual Weaning - You can wean yourself off of the offending nasal spray by diluting it with saline solution. This should be done gradually ie. 90% decongestant to 10% saline for 1 week. The following week could be 80% decongestant to 20% saline and so on.

Natural anti-inflammatories - Since the symptoms of sinusitis, allergies and rhinitis are caused by inflammation it follows that by reducing inflammation you will reduce the severity of the symptoms. Omega 3,6 &9 oils, vitamin C, turmeric and ginger are all excellent natural anti-inflammatories. There are plenty of others and your local health food store should be able to advise you on these. It usually takes about 4 weeks for these to start taking effect.

As with all medical conditions you should consult your doctor before undertaking new treatments.


14 comments:

  1. This was a useful post and I think it's fairly easy to see in the other reviews, so this post is well written and useful. Keep up the good work.Zolmist Nasal Spray in UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless Dr Godwin for what he have done in my life,I’m here to testify about what Dr godwin did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 4 years and had constant pain and inching, especially in my private part. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be cured someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago I came across a testimony of Rose Smith on the internet testifying about a Man called Dr Godwin on how he cured her from 7 years HSV 2. And she also gave the email address of this man, advise anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him I have faith he can cure me too,, Dr Godwin prepared and sent me Healing Oil, Soap, roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after four weeks of using his Roots/ Herbs, Oil and Soap, I was totally cured. no more inching , pain on me anymore as Dr godwin assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test behold the result came out negative. So friends my advise is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like HPV, HBV, HIV, ALS, HBP, CANCER etc. you can contact Dr.godwin for help via drgodwin52@gmail or whatsapp +2348158184060

      Delete
    2. I was cured of HSV with the use of natural herbs. My name is Teddy Ryssa and I am from the US. I love herbs so much. Most times injection and drugs are just a waste of time. I was cured 2months ago, I suffered from HSV for 2yrs but with the help of Dr ehiaguna herbal medicine, I was cured within a few weeks of drinking the herbs he sent to me through ups delivery service. This same doctor also cured my Aunty from herpes, as soon as i heard she had herpes, i quickly refer her to Dr ehiaguna and she was cured too after drinking his herbs.I have referred more than 15 persons to Dr ehiaguna and they were all cured from their various illness. Have you taken herbs before?. You have spent so much money on drugs,injections,surgeries etc and yet you have no good result to show for it. Contact Dr ehiaguna now, he is a herbalist doctor, I assure you of a cure if you drink his natural herbs. Dr ehiaguna has herbs that cures HIV, HPV, diabetics, asthma, hepatitis, HBP, STD, cancer, chronic, etc. Contact  Dr ehiaguna through his Email address on: drehiaguna@gmail.com or WHATSAPP/CALL him on +2348073908953 Please share the good news to other people once you are cured

      Delete
  2. Eating whole grains and high-fiber foods Regrow gums at home like raw carrots, and chewing them thoroughly, stimulates the gums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don t neglect to go listed below the periodontal lines of all teeth where the majority of the bacteria hide. Regrow Receding Gums At Home

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read several excellent stuff here.its very useful information for How To Reverse Gum Disease Receding Gums Naturally . Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you set to create this type of magnificent informative web site

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often have a runny nose. And you surely know I'm addicted to nasal spray. It has helped me survive, although its abuse is not good. Thanks for sharing the article. I will apply them to change gradually. ~ Jeff @ Allergy Hacks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is magnificent, let alone the content!|
    Can You Reverse Receding Gums With Home Remedies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Outstanding post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this topic? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Thanks! Can You Regrow Receding Gums Naturally At Home

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your article seem to be running off the screen in Safari. I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to let you know. The style and design look great though! Hope you get the problem fixed soon. Thanks How To Treat Receding Gums Without Surgery

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm 61 years old, I contracted hpv in 2011' I has be taking lot treatment for it and embarrassed some months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so . but today I'm totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr Onokun herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away' seriously believed Dr Onokun he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr Onokun make it possible for me. Here is Dr Onokun email:  dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or website: https:// Dronokunherbalcure.wordpress.com/ page at: https://www.facebook.com/naturaltreatmentcenter1  .he is welled capable of curing terrible diseases.      

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been cured through Dr Utu African Traditional roots and herbs.
    Why so many people don't succeed in better health is because they have the belief that herbal medicines are primitive and outdated they took time ⌚ in thinking and having much doubt in herbs that can actually better their health naturally. Do you know that thinking and doubting won't solve your health problems?yes of course it won't solve it All you've to do is to stand up again and make the best move in your life. African herbs cures HIV, HSV, CANCERS, INFERTILITY, ASTHMA, PARALYSIS, DIABETES Try a reliable herbalist like Dr Utu and tell him your symptoms and feelings on;
    drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    CALLING +2347032718477
    WHATSAPP LINE +2347032718477

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to give a Testimony on how I got Cured From HPV. four years ago I was Diagnosed with HPV. I was having some outbreaks. I went to see a Doctor and many Blood Tests were done on me. My Doctor told me that there’s no cure for HPV. I felt bad, I went online searching for a possible cure for HPV, I saw a post of Milton Buckler, a herbal doctor called Dr Ovie who cured him from HPV. I contacted him and told him how I’m feeling and he said his herbal medicine can cure me. He sent me the medicine via Ups delivery service and I received the medicine some days after he sent it, i took the medicine as prescribed by him. Before the completion of the medication the symptoms stopped. I went to the Doctor and carried out another blood test, surprisingly I was Negative. I haven’t had any symptoms anymore, you can contact Dr Ovie  through his email: ovie.miraclemedicine1@gmail.com  ovie.miraclemedicine1@yahoo.com call or whatsApp Dr on this number now +2349056393169 Dr Ovie also have the cure for different types of diseases like1 cancer cure2 lupus cure3 ringing ear4 herpes cure5 warts cure6 hpv cure7 hiv cure8 fibroid cure

    ReplyDelete
  12. “I read these posts and wished to share my experience using natural herbal medicine and a lifestyle change.
    As an ICU nurse with an amazing 38years old career, I know what a medical miracle is. For no reason, I have never liked herbal medicines until I witnessed a confirmed HIV positive patient test result reversed to HIV negative after many tests which all still came back negative. Many professionals gave different suggestions to what has happened and why it was possible or impossible but to me, it's nothing more than a medical miracle. I scrutinized him and found out he has been cured with herbal therapy which a physician have prepared for him. Then I was a GENITAL HERPES sufferer which was the main reason I have remained single and my biggest secret that has made me understand life in the best way I should. Through this abovementioned person who had been cured, I contacted this physician who cured my genital herpes with herbal medicine and has also cured a psoriasis patient with herbal medicine through me, and in all these tribulations and recovery phases, which were experienced none of us have ever complained of any after effect.
    The good news is that this same physician is available on:
    drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    +2349072733661.

    ReplyDelete